Having administrator rights is often required to install software on Windows computers. You may need to confirm that you do indeed have administrator rights before installing Voyant on your computer. Our support team often fields calls from users who think they have complete admin rights to their computers only to find that they do not. This is often the case with computers distributed by enterprises with IT depertments that prefer to retain a good deal of control over what their users install on the company's computers.
Fortunately, there is an easy way to check if your account has admin rights.
1. Click on Windows icon in lower left followed by the settings cog.
2. Choose “System."
3. Scroll down and click "About" followed by "System Info" under 'Related Settings."
4. Select “Change Settings“ in lower right of screen.
5. There you will the "Change" button to rename the computer.
1. Right-click the Start button, then select System.
2. Choose the “Advanced system settings” link in the left pane.
3. Select the Computer Name tab
Windows 7 & Vista
1. Click the Windows Start menu (the Windows orb usually bottom-left).
2. Right-click Computer.
3. Choose Properties.
4. Select “Advanced system settings“.
5. Select the Computer Name tab.
1. Right click on My Computer and select Properties.
2. Select the Computer Name tab.
NEXT, If for any of these versions of Windows the “Change…” button is grayed on on the “Computer Name”, the current logged in user does not have administrator rights.
Check permission level for all accounts on the computer
Windows 8, 7, & Vista
1. Open Control Panel.
2. In the User Accounts and Family Safety area, select Add or Remove user accounts.
3. A list of user accounts will be displayed on the screen. Each will have a name and the permission level of the user.
The Windows 7 User Accounts list, shown above.
1. Click Start.
2. Open the Control Panel.
3. Open User Accounts.
The user accounts on the computer will be listed on the screen. Each name should display the permission level.
The Window XP user list and permissions, shown above.