How to grant colleagues offline access to your client records
Please note: Offline access can only be granted on a client-by-client basis.
To access Voyant offline, your user account must have ownership of the client file.
The Open Client Record dialogue’s My Clients tab shows not only the client files owned by your user account, it also indicates which files will be available to you when working offline.
The All Clients tab, by contrast, shows the records stored on our servers. These may be a mix of your own client cases, those created and owned by your user account, and files created and owned by your colleagues that you are allowed to access.
Client files that will be available offline are marked with an asterisk on the Open Client Record dialogue.
How to grant co-ownership of a client record to yourself or to a colleague for offline access
To share ownership of a client file with a colleague or to grant yourself these permissions first open the software.
1. Click your desktop link to the software. The Open Client Record dialogue will display when you first open the software, following the Upcoming Training screen.
2. If you are already working in the software, click the Client: Open button, top-left.
3. Select the All Clients tab.
If you are the owner of the subscription or have “all client access”, all of the client records created by your firm will be shown on this tab.
The "Connected To" column will show who owns the file. Note that there is a limited amount of space in this column so you may move your cursor over the name of the owner to view the complete list of owners, should multiple users already have ownership of the client file.
4. Select the client record you want to share with a colleague or with yourself.
5. Click the Share button.
The Shares dialogue will display showing a list of users that currently have direct access to the client file and their permissions.
6. Enter your colleague’s (or your own) first name, last name, or e-mail address and click Search.
7. Select the level of permissions that will be granted to you or your colleague:
- Full Control - Full access to read, edit, and share the file with others in your firm.
- Write - View and edit the client file.
- Read - Read-only access to the client file.
8. Select Full Control to grant co-ownership of the client file. This level of access will also ensure that the file can be accessed when working offline.
9. Click the Plus (+) button to add this person to the list of those sharing the client file shown at the top of the dialogue.
10. Click the OK button.
This permissions update will be synchronised with our servers.
Testing the permissions Update: How to view client files accessible offline
As a test, have your colleague open Voyant Adviser and view the Open Client Record dialogue’s My Clients tab. If you are granting yourself these permissions, do this check within your own software. This tab is a view of the user account’s local file store. If the client file appears on the My Clients tab, it should be accessible offline.
Files that will be available offline will also be noted with an asterisk.
Repeat steps 3 through 8 if permissions need to be granted to additional client files.
Be certain to re-synch with the Voyant servers before working offline
If you are granting ownership to a colleague in order to make the client files accessible offline, after making permissions updates, always be certain to have your colleague open Voyant on the computer that is intended to be used offline. This must be done at least once following the permissions update in order to synchronise with our servers and update the computer’s local offline file store for your colleague's user account. The computer must be online to resynchronise with the servers.
Offline file stores are user account specific. When logging into Voyant on this computer, be sure to use the account that has been granted the updated client file access. After logging in, the files will be synchronised with the Voyant servers and the local file store, which is viewed when working in offline mode, will be updated. Client files that will be accessible when working in offline mode will be shown on the Open Client Record dialogue’s My Clients tab.
As a best practice, always open Voyant online and allow the software to resynchronise with the Voyant servers before using it in offline mode. Doing so will update your local client file store and will ensure that you have the latest version of all client files, especially if modifications are being made from various computers and possibly by multiple users.
For Further Reading
For more information on offline mode, view our offline guide.