Reverting to a previous version of Java following an update is a three-step process. You will first uninstall Java, then download and install the older version of Java from the Oracle archive, and then reinstall Voyant.
Before you begin: To uninstall Java, you must have Administrator privileges and execute the remove command.
To uninstall Java from a Mac, you will remove one directory and one file, as follows:
1. Click on the Finder icon located in your dock
2. Click on the Utilities folder
3. Double-click on the Terminal icon
4. In the Terminal window Copy and Paste the following command:
sudo rm -fr /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin
5. Press enter. You may be prompted to enter your computer password before continuing.
6. Next, Copy and Paste the command below and press enter:
sudo rm -fr /Library/PreferencePanes/JavaControlPanel.prefpane
Note: Do not attempt to uninstall Java by removing the Java tools from /usr/bin. This directory is part of the system software and any changes will be reset by Apple the next time you perform an update of the OS.
Install the older release of Java (Java 8 Update 161)
7. Next, visit the Oracle Java archive. Click the following link to go directly to Java SE Runtime Environment 8u161. (You may need to scroll down the page to locate this particular version)
8. First click “Accept License Agreement” at the top of this section of the screen.
9. Next, click “jre-8u161-macosx-x64.dmg” to download and install this older release of Java.
10. You will be prompted for a user name and password before downloading Java.
You may create your own account or use ours.
User Name: firstname.lastname@example.org
Password: Voyant4Java (please note that the password is case sensitive)
11. Click the installation file.
Depending on the browser you are using, the Java installer will drop into the downloads directory (the down arrow button top-right in Safari) or will appear in the lower left corner of the browser (Chrome).
12. Double-click the icon to begin the installation.
Now that you have reverted to a prior version of Java, you will then need to sign-in to the Voyant website and click “Plan Now” to launch and install. Complete instructions on installing can be found here.
11. Which website you visit to register and install the software will depend on which version of Voyant you intend to use.
Canada - canada.planwithvoyant.com
Ireland - www.planwithvoyant.ie
United Kingdom - www.planwithvoyant.co.uk
United States - www.planwithvoyant.com
12. Click the Adviser button (formerly "Plan Now") to install the software. Alternatively, click the Plan link in the top navigation.