Q - Why am I getting a Java error message when launching Voyant. I am unable to start the program.
A - On rare occasion, a Java update is released that interferes with the ability to launch Voyant and requires the user to revert to an earlier version temporarily until a fix is in place. This is a one, and possibly two to three step process depending on whether an older version of Java is installed as well. In the event you do have an older version in place, simply uninstall the latest version of Java (see below). Removing the most recent version and leaving the older one should be all that is necessary. If you do not have an older version, you will need to download and install it from the Oracle archive and reinstall Voyant.
Note: You may need administrator privileges to remove programs from your computer.
Uninstalling the latest Java update
1. First, open the Control Panel.
If you are using Windows 10, simply search the Start Menu for “Control Panel”.
Windows 8 features a “Charms” bar accessible from the top or bottom right “hot corner”. Position your cursor in either corner until the five Charms appear along the right edge of the screen. Click Search. Alternatively, the Search charm can be accessed with the keyboard shortcut Windows logo + Q). Search for “Control Panel”.
If you are in Windows 7 or Vista, click Start (bottom-left) and select Control Panel.
2. When the Control Panel appears, select Apps from the Windows Settings screen.
3. Scroll down and select Java (only the newer version if you have more than one), e.g., Java 8 Update 171, from the Apps and Features screen and then click the Uninstall button.
4. Click Yes to confirm the program uninstall.
5. If an older version of Java, e.g., Java 8 Update 161, is shown do not uninstall it. Leave it in place.
Congratulations! This should be all you need to do to revert to a version of Java that is compatible with Voyant. If Voyant does not launch, however, you will need to reinstall it (see below).
If there is not an older version of Java on your machine, you will need to download and install the previous version and reinstall Voyant.
Installing an older release of Java
6. If no older versions of Java appear in the Control Panel, download and install one from the Oracle archive site: Java SE 8 Archive Downloads.
7. First click “Accept License Agreement” at the top of this section of the screen.
There will be two versions of Java for Windows. The one you choose depends on whether your Windows operating system is 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64).
Unsure of which version of Windows you are running? Instructions on how to find out can be found here.
8. Click to download the correct version of the Java 8 Update that is compatible with your Windows machine (x86 or x64) and an earlier version of Java than the one you removed from your machine. in this case, Java SE Runtime Environment 8u161 .
9. You will be prompted for a user name and password before downloading the Java file.
You may create your own account or use ours.
User Name: email@example.com
Password: Voyant4Java (please note that the password is case sensitive)
10. Click the installation file.
Depending on the browser you are using, the Java installer will drop into the downloads directory (the down arrow button top-right in Safari) or will appear in the lower left corner of the browser (Chrome).
11. Click Yes when prompted to run the installation and click Install to begin the installation process.
Now that you have reverted to an earlier version of Java, sign-in to the Voyant website and click “Plan Now” to launch and install Voyant. Complete instructions on installing can be found here.
12. Which website you visit to register and install the software will depend on which version of Voyant you intend to use.
Canada - canada.planwithvoyant.com
Ireland - www.planwithvoyant.ie
United Kingdom - www.planwithvoyant.co.uk
United States - www.planwithvoyant.com
13. Click the Download Voyant Adviser button to install the software. Alternatively, click the Plan link in the top navigation.