Situation: When updating a plan, you want to show that one of the two people in the plan is already retired at the start of the plan, whilst the other person continues working. You have updated their Employment and Pension details accordingly, but Voyant will not let you delete the retired person's Retirement Event.
Solution: At the moment, this retirement event is a stage boundary - together with the other person in the plan's retirement event, it ends the pre-retirement stage - so cannot be deleted.
To fix this, you first need to amend the pre-retirement stage so that it ends just at the retirement event for the person who is not retiring. Once done, you will be able to delete the retired person's retirement event.
To do this, firstly amend anything in the plan that is linked to the retirement event you wish to delete so that it is linked to another event e.g. change the start event for pension crystallisation from the retirement event to the start event. Then, follow the steps below:
1. In the Time screen, click on the Pre-Retirement stage bar so that it pops up.
2. Click on the red dot denoting the end of the Pre-Retirement stage and drag it to the retirement event for the person who is not retiring.
3. Click ok.
4. Click on the retirement event for the person who is retired so the icon has a red box around it.
5. Press delete on your keyboard. The following message will appear:
6. Click Yes to confirm.
7. Click on the paperclip icon which linked the two retirement events so it has a red box around it.
8. Press delete on your keyboard. The following message will appear:
9. Click Yes to confirm.
Please note that if there is anything still in the plan that is linked to the retirement event that you have deleted, you will get plan errors, and the plan will not calculate. Simply click on the error message, amend the item so it is linked to an alternative event, update the changes, and the plan will then calculate.