To begin importing client information from BIS into Voyant, first open Voyant Adviser and sign in. Note that you must be working online for the BIS integration to work as client data is being pulled over from their system into Voyant.
After clicking through the initial screens, the Open Client Record dialogue will display.
Click the 'download' button to select BIS as the import source.
The first time you connect to BIS via Voyant you will be asked to enter your BIS (not Voyant) user name and password. Once entered, your credentials will be saved. Again, you must be working online (with an internet connection) for Voyant to connect to BIS.
Please note: If you receive an authentication error when attempting to sign in, please contact your BIS account manager to ensure that the service is also set up and active on their end.
Once you sign into BIS, a search dialogue will display. Enter either the first and/or last name of your client or leave the field blank and click Search to view all of the clients available for import from BIS.
Select the record you want to import and click OK. The client record will appear in Voyant.
After importing you may receive a message stating that the plan has errors. Don’t be alarmed. This message usually does not indicate a problem with the BIS file. Rather, some of the items imported need additional information in order to be effectively modelled in Voyant.
1. Click OK to close the message and start by addressing any issues flagged in the plan.
2. Warnings will appear at the bottom of the screen. These are clickable links, which will take you directly to the item in the plan that needs attention. Be sure to read the flagged messages as they usually provide a good description of what needs to be addressed.
Note: In most cases do not click the X (delete) button to the right of the error message and if you do, be sure to pay close attention to the prompt that follows. Deleting an error message will often also result in the deletion of the imported item that the error relates to.
3. Edit the item and click Update. The error related to the item will disappear.
You may also find the generic checklist below useful as it highlights areas of the client record to review after importing:
Checklist – Things to check following the import of a client record
Below is a quick list of things to check after you’ve imported a client case.
- After importing, check the bottom of any screen in the software for error messages. These messages are links, which you can click to jump directly to the item in question and correct the problem. Be sure to read the error message. The descriptions in these messages are usually helpful.
- Check the timing and ownership of expenses and confirm they are timed correctly and owned by the correct owner(s).
- Double-check your client’s expenses for possible double-accounting. If your client is itemizing expenses, verify that they do not include taxes, premiums on protection policies, and debt payments. These expenses are created automatically by the software.
For example, if they included a debt such as a mortgage in their fact find, the software will automatically create for this debt a “debt payment” expense, which can be found on the Expenses > Basics screen of the software. Future premium payments are also scheduled automatically when you manually enter protection policies into Voyant. Taxes are calculated and charged annually by the software.
- Check planned future contributions to savings, investments and pensions and set the timing of these contributions, if necessary. Also set any employer contributions to defined contribution pension schemes, if applicable.
- If the plan includes properties that have related debts, such as mortgages, and incomes, such as rental income, link these debts and incomes to the related property.
- Use Voyant Advisor to enter items that are not importable.