Investments in AIM-listed companies that qualify for Business Property IHT Relief (BPR) can be modelled by entering the shares using the investment Type “Unwrapped Investment”.
To enter AIM Shares:
Click on the + button
1. Go to the Savings & Investments screen.
2. Select Investments
Select the investment Type “Unwrapped Investment”.
3. The investment will automatically default to the Primary person in the plan so you need to check this and change this by using the drop down box if this is not the case.
4. To designate holdings within an Unwrapped Investment as AIM-listed company shares, you will need to use the drop down box on Qualifies for IHT Relief (BPR/APR) and select 'Yes'. This will provide you with further boxes to complete that are relevant to this investment.
Select the Year qualifying for IHT Exemption for the Unwrapped Investment. Select whether the gains qualify for Entrepreneurs Relief.
5. In the Contribution field, enter the annual contribution amount, if future contributions are planned. When you have entered a contribution amount £ or %, the software will prompt you to update the timing of the contribution/s.
6. Click on the Update Timing prompt or you can navigate to the Timing option on the Investment menu.
From here, if you have set up an existing event for the contributions to start you could use that event to set the timing of the contributions by dragging and dropping these events into the appropriate boxes.
Or alternatively, you can click on the grey panels within the Timing box to create an Event for the contributions to start and stop. Set these as your Start/End events. Click Done
You can check this is working by looking at Year View>Investments
This will also show on the Overview>Legacy screen
Please note that it is now possible to model an AIM using Investment Type "Stock Market ISA/Junior ISA".